Fellowship in The College of Family
Physicians of Canada (FCFP)
The CFPC awards the Fellowship designation (FCFP) to those who have been awarded Certification in the College of Family Physicians (CCFP) and who distinguish themselves through outstanding contribution to their communities, their colleagues, and the discipline of family medicine. The Fellowship journey starts with Certification and incorporates the lifelong learning process. Fellowship is considered a value of membership and will be bestowed for life as long as the member remains in good standing with the College.
Fellows demonstrate a commitment to achieving and maintaining excellence across the broad range of competencies that characterize outstanding family physicians, as well as adherence to the Four Principles of Family Medicine. They are actively engaged with their practice, their community, their colleagues, and their profession. They contribute to the knowledge base of family medicine through research, teaching, and/or consistently extraordinary application.
To nominate yourself or a CFPC member for Fellowship, review the eligibility criteria or select the appropriate nomination/application route.
All nominations will be reviewed by the CFPC’s Fellowship Council and successful nominees will receive their FCFP designation at convocation at Family Medicine Forum the same year.
Nomination Period Closes
Nominations must be completed and submitted by March 31 at 11:50 p.m. EST.
If you are nominating a CFPC member, please submit the nomination at least two weeks before the deadline for them to complete their portion.
If you have any questions regarding Fellowship, please contact email@example.com.
Council Review Begins
All Fellowship nominations will be reviewed by current Fellows participating in the Fellowship Council Review Committees. For more details on the review process click here.
Fellowship applications received through the modified approach will not be subject to review.
Appeals Process Completed
Unsuccessful nominees will be notified and given the opportunity to appeal the decision. All appeals will be reviewed by members of the Appeals Committee and their determination will be final for the current nomination period.
FCFP Designations Finalized
Both successful and unsuccessful nominees will be contacted and advised of the final determination of their nomination.
Fellowships Awarded at Convocation at FMF
New Fellows are invited to receive their FCFP Designation at Convocation at the annual Family Medicine Forum.
Nominations are reviewed by members of the three Nomination Committees – Reviews, Adjudication and Appeals. Current Fellows are encouraged to join the Fellowship Council and participate in the Fellowship process through one of the review committees. More information on the Council and the reviews process is available here.
- Each nomination will consist of a statement from the nominee and two letters from nominators who support the nomination, highlighting the nominee’s contributions to family medicine.
- Each nomination will be reviewed by three Review Committee members to determine whether or not it is successful.
- If the decision is unanimous, the nominee is notified of the determination.
- If the decision is not unanimous, the nomination—including reviewer feedback—will be given to a member of the adjudication committee to review and make a final determination.
- If a nomination is unsuccessful for any reason, the nominee may appeal the decision, in which case the Appeals Committee would review the nomination and any additional documentation to reach a final determination.
- Any unsuccessful nominees may be nominated again in a future year.
Note: Applications submitted through the Modified Approach to Fellowship will not be subject to review.